Please note that a 2.5% or $2.00 minimum convenience fee will be applied to your credit/debit card.This fee is not collected by the Town of Portland and you will not see it on your final invoice processing screen.
Portland Parks & recreation - Department info, policies, and procedures
The Town of Portland Parks and Recreation Department is committed to providing diverse leisure opportunities, clean and healthy facilities and parks, and a safe and inclusive environment that allows for community growth and collaboration. Our purpose is to physically, socially, and intellectually improve the quality of life for all of our residents.
Please refer to our "help" section at the top of our RecDesk page. Here, you may view written and video guides for our online registration process.
By creating a RecDesk account, the registration and programming process becomes more efficient for our community members, program staff and instructors, and administrative staff.
The following information applies online payments:
- Users will have the ability to pay immediately from the phone, tablet, or computers.
- Credit or Debit card payments may be made using Discover, MasterCard, and Visa.
- Please note that a 2.5% or $2.00 minimum convenience fee will be applied to your credit/debit card.
- This fee is not collected by the Town of Portland and you will not see it on your final invoice processing screen.
- You may choose to pay with cash or check directly at the Parks & Recreation Office to avoid this fee.
Registration for most programs must be completed and submitted to Portland Parks and Recreation by noon on Thursday of the week prior to it's start date. This may vary for certain programs and will displayed in the program information.
This policy has been put in place to provide higher quality programs and staffing to our community members and non-residential program participants.
All refund requests MUST be submitted in writing or email to the Portland Parks & Recreation Department. Requests may be submitted via email to NFoley@PortlandCT.org or ADionne@PortlandCT.org
Certain programs have minimum participation requirements to be held. Due to this, a refund will not always be granted upon request.
Refunds will ONLY be considered under the following exceptions:
- Full refunds will be provided for all programs canceled by Parks & Recreation. If a program is canceled, all individuals registered will be contacted at least 3-5 days prior to the program's start date.
- Full refunds must be requested in writing / email at least two full weeks (14 days) before the program start date.
- A 50% refund must be requested in writing / email less than two full weeks (13 days or less) before the program start date.
- Refunds are generally not provided once a program has begun, however, in the event of injury or illness, a refund request will be considered if accompanied by a doctor's note.
- A household credit will be directly applied to your RecDesk Account with Portland Parks & Recreation. This credit will not expire and may be used towards any future program.
- A refund check will be sent to the address on file in your account, unless otherwise requested. Checks will only be issued at the end of a program's full duration or following inspection of facility usage. They are processed through Town Hall and it may take between 10-15 business days to receive.
Low Enrollment and Cancelled Programs:
- Portland Parks & Recreation reserves the right to combine program sessions/classes if there is insufficient enrollment, or cancel programs if combining is not an option. In the event of a cancelled program, a full refund via check or household credit will be provided.
- Make-up classes or refunds for classes missed due to personal conflicts are not permitted. We ask all program participants to verify your schedules before committing to our programs.
- If one or multiple classes are cancelled by Parks & Recreation, all attempts will be made to offer a make-up class to ensure the total number of classes signed up for have been offered. In the case that we are unable to accommodate make-up classes, you will receive a refund for the class(es) that that were cancelled.
We understand that unforeseen situations may arise that require additional consideration. We will do our best to accommodate everyone fairly and evaluate each situation on a case-by-case basis.
In the event of a weather related cancellation, Portland Parks and Recreation's status is consistent with the Portland Board of Education. If school has been canceled or has an early dismissal, any program scheduled to be held within a school is canceled as well.
Portland Parks and Recreation reserves the right to cancel programs due to weather concerns, regardless of the decision made by the Board of Education. Please check our hotline at 860-262-7234 or refer to our Athletic Field / Facility status tab for updated information on program and event cancellations or postponements.
We do not contact our participants to remind or confirm that a scheduled program is starting. We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the programs displayed on our website and within our brochures. All programs, instructors and locations are subject to change. If changes are made to a scheduled program, all registered participants will be contacted via email or phone.
Our department will reach out via email and / or phone to all participants if a program is canceled due to low enrollment or any reason that may impact a program schedule. Please check our hotline at 860-262-7234 for updated information on program and event cancellations.